2/5/15

Taste of Love: Hearty and Delicious Potato Soup

Trying to close out Marti's Creative Life so need to migrate some things over to this blog. I'm moving some of my favorite recipes over so if you've already seen these, I apologize.

This is by far the best potato soup I've ever eaten. And I'm not saying that because I make it. I'm saying it because it's just the best recipe I've ever found for potato soup. As you might guess, it's one of the Pioneer Woman's. What can I say, I want to be her when I grow up. Well, on to the recipe, I hope you'll try this soup cause it really is amazing. Full recipe is listed below
First I cut up my bacon 
Then I put it into the soup pot to brown. Let it get good 
and crisp and then remove it from the pot and pour off most of the grease. 
While the bacon was cooking, I chopped up an onion, some carrots and celery. 
Once you remove the bacon and grease, add your veggies to the pot, stir and cook for two minutes. Make sure to scrape all the stuff off the bottom of the pot and mingle it with your veggies.  
 After you let your veggies cook, add your diced potatoes to the pot. Stir and let them cook for five minutes. Then season with salt and pepper. Only season lightly at first. You can add more later if you need too. 
After you season your veggies, add your chicken broth to the pot. Stir and cover, 
then let it come tot a gentle boil. Cook for ten minutes or until potato's are tender.
Whisk together milk and flour. Pour it into the pot. This will help to thicken you soup.
You can do this next step two ways. You can take half of your soup, and put it into a blender or food processor. Or you can use a potato masher like I'm doing and smash up some of the potato's. This gives the soup a thicker texture. My blender broke so this is my method now. 
Once you've mashed up your potato's and the soup is cooked all the way, take a little of the soup and temper the cream before adding it to the pot. Once the cream is tempered, add it to the soup. This will keep the cream from curdling.
Then serve with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon on top. Sorry, 
I didn't take a pic of the soup with the cheese and bacon. My bad. 
Ingredients 

6 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
3 whole Carrots, Scrubbed Clean And Diced
3 stalks Celery, Diced
6 whole Small Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
Black Pepper To Taste
1 cup Grated Cheese Of Your Choice
[you can also add some Cajun spice and parsley if you like. I'm not found of either of these, so I don't add them. But they are in the Pioneer Woman's original recipe]

No comments:

Post a Comment