2/27/15

Taste of Love: Scrumptious Split Pea With Ham Soup

It's unfortunate that split pea soup gets a bad rep. I love the stuff, think it's one of the best soups around. But due to the under whelming demand for it, Campbell's took it off the market. So, I just decided to make my own. And it was delicious, even if I do say so myself. But mom said so too, so I guess that makes it true.                                 

If you like split pea with ham then here is my fairly easy recipe. I started by letting 2 cups of dried peas soak in water over night. Then I drained them and put them in my big ole soup pot.

Then I added 6 cups of water and 2 cups of broth. I used vegetable broth because it was already open and in my fridge. But you can also use chicken broth if you like. When I started the soup I was in my sweats. It was Saturday and early after all.

After that, came the ham hock. You can't have a pot of pea soup with out a ham hock to give it flavor. 

Now it has to cook over medium heat for around 2 hours and then it will be time to add more stuff. 
Don't think I'm a total slob, I did eventually get dressed in real clothes. And now it's time to add the other goodies to our soup. I coarsely chopped up a whole onion and threw it in the pot, Along with some garlic.

Then I grated two carrots. I don't peel my carrots, I just chop off the ends and wash them. The peel has lots of nutrients. Just  throw them in, it'll be fine and grated up, you'll never notice, I promise.
I also coarsely chopped up two celery stalks and added those to the soup.

After the soup had cooked for another hour or so, I took my handy potato masher and smashed up some of the peas to give it more thickness.

I also added a little corn starch to help the soup thicken. Just sprinkle a tablespoon or two on top and stir it in. Then I added salt, pepper and a little red pepper for added flavor. You can gauge how much to use by your own taste.

The last thing I added, was ham. I cut chopped it up into 1/2 inch square pieces. Then threw it in and let the soup come to a boil.

Then simmer for about an hour or so. Enough to thicken the soup and get the peas and other veggies soft and mussy.

And that's it, told you it was fairly easy. And as I said, it was delicious. You can serve it with crackers, cornbread, pumpernickel or anything else you like.  I've posted the recipe below and I  hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups of dried peas [soaked over night in water. Drained and added to large soup pot] 
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 cups broth [chicken or vegetable]
  • 1 ham hock
  • 1 onion coarsely chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
  • 2 carrots grated
  • 2 stalks of celery coarsely chopped
  • 1 pound of ham cut up into 1 inch squares [or circles or ratangles if you like to play with your food]
  • salt, pepper and red pepper to taste
I started by soaking my peas in water over night. Then I drained them and put them in my big ole soup pot.

Add 6 cups of water and 2 cups of broth.

Add the ham hock, and cook over medium heat for a couple hours.

Then add the onion, carrots and celery

Cook soup for another hour or so, then use a potato masher to smash up some of the peas to give it more thickness. You can also add corn starch if you like.

Add your salt, pepper and a little red pepper for added flavor.

Chop your ham, throw it in and let the soup come to a boil.

Then simmer for about an hour or so to thicken the soup and get the peas and other veggies soft and mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment